Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Land of Narnia - Part 1


Growing up, some of my favorite books were the Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis. I remember reading them countless times as a child, vividly imagining each scene as it played out in my mind.  What fond memories I have of curling up on my bed and reading one of these books until I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer.  Not only were the stories captivating, but the way that C. S. Lewis wove the gospel and the character of God into these books opened my eyes to better understand and rejoice in the gospel, God's sovereignty, and His love for His children.  I saw and began to understand, although I had not yet begun to experience personally, how God orchestrates our circumstances, no matter how difficult and unfortunate they may seem at the time, for our good and for His glory.


Soon after Zach was born, my mind began counting the years until I could introduce him to these stories.  I imagined reading these books to him while he listened, motionless and awestruck, soaking in every word just as I had done many years before.  While his introduction to these books has not been exactly as I imagined, his response has not disappointed.

This summer, the highly anticipated moment came.  Upon deciding that Zach was probably ready to be introduced to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, the thought occurred to me that since we often spend up to an hour in the car each day, it might be well worth investing in Focus on the Family's Radio Theatre production of these books.  I cannot speak highly enough of these dramatizations of the stories.  Although we're not curled up on the couch reading and turning the pages together, Zach sits with rapt attention for hours as we drive along in the car. And I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to them as well.


As a child, Zach is wrapped up in the battles, coming home and re-enacting fights with his sword in the back yard.  In fact, his love of Narnian battles has grown into a love of sword fights of any kind.  I often find him in battle, "good guys vs. bad guys" around the trees, over the berm, onto the deck, and down the hill in our back yard.  He will then come into the house to excitedly announce the winners and losers of the battle and how that might affect our family's next outside adventure.  It seems he has even passed his love of sword fighting on to his younger brother.  Wesley now picks up his swords, swinging them around while yelling "Yah! Yah! Yah!"

We have also enjoyed discussing the meanings of the stories, and Zach is truly fascinated with the concept of allegories.  His questions have led to rich conversations, which I pray the Lord will use to open the eyes of his heart to truly see and believe the gospel.

Click here to read Part 2.




1 comment:

Becky said...

We love Narnia here too...:) Renee was Queen Lucy for Halloween a while ago.