Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Brothers & Best Buds





As every younger brother does, Wesley adores his older brother, following him wherever he goes, getting into his stuff, preferring his toys, laughing at his every joke (even when it's not funny), and imitating his every move.


The other evening, the boys went outside to play together.  Just being able to say that brings such joy to my heart.  My boys play together!  I can send them outside without watching Wesley every moment and trust that Zach will keep an eye on him and they will have fun. They enjoy each other's company, and Wesley now understands the concepts of simple games enough that he can join in the fun and take turns.


Anyway, Zach and Wesley went out in the backyard to play ball, and my mommy heart was so touched as I watched them kicking the ball together and chasing it all around the yard. Zach's exuberant yells and encouraging words to Wesley were punctuated by Wesley's gleeful giggles.


One of the things I was most saddened by when we received Wesley's diagnosis was that Zach would not have that same brother bond and friendship with Wesley as he would have had if Wesley were a normally developing child.  While it still hurts at times when I see Zach play with other boys Wesley's age in ways that he can't play with Wesley, I am reminded as I watch the two of them play that Zach isn't disappointed with Wesley.  He doesn't wish that Wesley were different.  This is all that he knows, and he is perfectly content with how things are.  While we have talked with him about Wesley's special needs, Zach does not see Wesley's delays and differences.  He sees Wesley as a person.  As his younger brother.  And he loves him. He encourages him, laughs with him, teaches him how to do things, patiently plays with him, and of course fights with him and yells at him just as all big brothers do.

Zach taking a break while Wesley begs him to come play again.

Zach has learned what it means to share everything and to give of himself without expectation of anything in return.  Consequently, he has seen what a joy it is to share and to receive the gift of a smile from a younger brother who adores and loves him with every bit of his being.

While I don't know what their relationship will look like as they grow up, I am so thankful that God has given my boys to each other.  God has a wonderful plan for each of their lives, and I already see how having each other is one big way that God has blessed each of them.  They will be better for having each other and for walking alongside each other through thick and thin.


Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it his not arrogant or rude.  It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.  Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  Love never ends.  1 Corinthians 13:4-8

My prayer for my boys is that they will grow up loving one another with patience and kindness, not insisting on their own way.  May Zach never boast arrogantly in his knowledge or be resentful of Wesley, and may Wesley never envy his brother.  May they bear and endure all things together as they walk side by side down the road of life, finding their hope in Jesus, their Savior.


3 comments:

Katie said...

These pictures so beautifully capture the love between your boys. What amazing relationship they have!

Leslie said...

Hi Elisabeth! Your mom pointed me toward your blog after we got together earlier this week with your parents and your sister. You probably don't remember me but we were missionaries with you in Mexico City when I was twelve and you were about four or five. I remember watching you girls and my brothers while the grown-ups were meeting in the other room. I remember loving the times that we spent at your house. I am so glad to have read through some of your story here. It looks like your family is still wonderful and your boys are all beautiful, through and through. What an amazing God we have who pours His blessings out upon us. I love these pictures of brothers playing together. What joy. Thank you for sharing your story.

andreajennine said...

What a treasure!