Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Confession


I have a confession to make.  My children are sinners.  Even more so, they are sinners not yet saved by grace.  It may be of some surprise to you, but indeed, it is true. They hit other children, say mean things, don't share, disobey their parents, talk back, yell, and throw their glasses.  So, it might be in your best interest to inform your children of this before coming into contact with my children.  This way they can expect to be sinned against rather than be surprised by the shocking behavior that they see.

It might also be helpful for your children to know that while I have three sinful children, I am only one sinful mom.  So, if they choose to tattle on the sin of one of my children, they had best be prepared for what is to come. While I address the sin of one child, it is likely that another child will run off in a fit of rage while throwing his glasses. Then, I will need to neglect addressing the sin of the first child as I attempt to calm the second child, secure said child in a safe place, and begin the search for the thrown glasses.  Once the glasses have been found, it is probably safe to assume that my sinful self will be fighting to push down the seething anger toward all parties involved that is beginning to boil up within me as I resume my conversation with the first child.  I will most likely speak harshly to the first child, words that will require a humble apology once my hard heart has been sufficiently convicted.

At this point, it is usually wisest to remove our entire family from the situation as I see the wide eyes of onlookers.  Surprise!  You have just witnessed sin, compounded by disability, at its finest. I'll bet you weren't expecting a first row seat to such a grand show.

While others may be surprised by and uncomfortable with the sin in my heart and in the hearts of my children, I am so thankful that God is not.  Not only is he not surprised, but he knows the depths of our sin far better than even we do.  And yet, he loves us.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8


10 comments:

andreajennine said...

Your friends love you, too, and feel for you when those things happen. Sorry it was a hard afternoon.

MarySue said...

All I observed was a loving mommy handling a difficult situation calmly and wisely! The fruit of patience is very evident in you and your dealings with your children. God's work on display.

andreajennine said...

I agree with Mary!

Becky said...

I am not sure what happened because your comments lead me to believe you had a tough moment...but, you are so right, we are all sinners. WE all find ourselves in these types of moments in life, and yet God still loves us...wants us...reaches to us...and our children. I am sending love and prayers your way as always.

Patty said...

Elisabeth, I totally agree with Mary! And please know that these things happen to all of us at one time or another! Just last month, my adorable Matthew crossed his arms at me and REFUSED to get out of the street. Nice, huh? You're a wonderful mom, whom God has given much grace, and I admire you for your faithful perseverance with your kids. They are precious and a joy to be around....

Angie said...

Your kids are so blessed to have a mommy who walks humbly! Reminded of the verse on display through how you live: "Bear fruits in keeping with repentance." Luke 3:8. Praying you will see much fruit in your children, by God's grace, through your consistent example of repentance. Love you, friend.

Angie said...

P.S. I, too, was amazed at how you calmly and wisely loved your boys in a frustrating and most difficult situation!

Rochelle said...

You lived my afternoon exactly! AHHHH! And what is it with the glasses? Dariya has always left hers on but, for some reason this week they are flying objects of destruction!
Thankful we are covered with His grace b/c this mama sure needs it.

sarah k said...

I'm sorry it was a hard day. As Andrea said, your friends love you and your family.

AWESOME picture of Zach, I must say. :)

Ilisa Ailts said...

WOw. I too feel so sinful as a parent when I start to get angry or short and impatient. It is selfishness! Great post! Love the photos and fun in the previous ones as well (and as usual!)