Wednesday, June 8, 2011

McDonald's

Most parents would prefer that their children not eat at McDonald's (or any other fast food restaurant, for that matter).  I, on the other hand, cannot begin to tell you how OVERJOYED I was that Wesley actually ate lunch with us at McDonald's on Monday.  Due to a confluence of events, we left our house early that morning and didn't get home until nap time.  As I had not been expecting to do this, I did not plan ahead like I usually do and pack a lunch for Wesley that he would both be willing and able to eat.

As we pulled into the McDonald's parking lot for lunch, Zach and I took a minute to pray for God's mercy, that He would help Wesley to accept the food I offered him and not fight me with every bite.  Then we went in, with me thinking that if Wesley ate one or two bites of chicken nugget and one or two fries, I would count our lunch trip as a success.

Much to my surprise, Wesley INHALED his lunch!  The most amazing part of lunch was that Wesley accepted his food immediately when I offered it to him, whereas normally the first bite or two of something new is a huge fight.  And not only did he accept it, he WANTED it.  He dove for each bite of chicken nugget as I offered it to him, and he stuffed the fries into his mouth like they were candy (or in his case, goldfish, since he dislikes all things sweet).  I am sure Wesley would have eaten more, but I only offered him two chicken nuggets, as they took a lot of work for him to chew, and Zach and I were long done with our lunches by the time Wesley finished his.

As we left the restaurant, I walked out in amazement at God's provision for our family.  He could have let Wesley do his usual fighting, and he wouldn't have starved.  Wesley would have been hungry, but he would have been fine.  Instead, God chose to answer our prayers in a powerful and marvelous way.  He reminded me that nothing is too small to bring to His throne of grace.  He loves Wesley, and He cares for every tiny detail of Wesley's life.


6 comments:

Angie said...

Your awareness of God ever present mercy brought tears to my eyes, friend! What grace He has given you.

Becky said...

Nothing like good old McDonald's to do the trick...I was joyous for you too. Your faith continues to amaze me, because even in these small moments, you remember to thank Him. Thanks for being an example once again of God's love and attention to all the small details in our lives.

andreajennine said...

That's so great! And how wonderful for Zach to see prayer answered immediately like that!

Unknown said...

beautiful and i understand every word as if my own! i have just read your 'about me' page in tears as again these words could have been mine! so glad i found your blog. xxxxxxxxxx

Rochelle said...

YAHOO! The small victories are so huge! Thankful for God's continued hand on guiding your lives.

Ilisa Ailts said...

There seems to be something about Mac and D's. And, well, it is something to celebrate! I do that when my 2 year old eats a good meal (yes, not the same thing here) but he always eats well there.

I'm guessing you'll go there more often! :) Happy news.