Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Wesley's Life and God's Glory

After I wrote the post The Things I Can't Do Anything About, I received a question from a reader, asking if I ever feel like God's glory isn't enough to make up for these trials.  Do I ever feel like I would rather have Wesley happy and healthy and whole and not struggling than have God glorified?  Do I ever feel like God has enough glory and he doesn't need more?  God is glorious no matter what happens in our our lives, but Wesley only has this one life to live and why does it have to be so hard for him?  Why would God make a child miserable to bring himself glory?

In answering these questions, I first want to acknowledge that there is no easy, quick answer.  These are hard questions that have to be wrestled with.  In order to consider these questions rightly, I must first believe two things about God.

First, I must believe that God is good and that He is working all things together for my good (and for Wesley's good if he trusts in Him).  According to Romans 8:28, "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."  I recently read an excellent quote by R.C. Sproul on this verse that said,
"God, in his providence, has the power and the will to work all things together for good for his people. This does not mean that everything that happens to us is, in itself, good. Really bad things do happen to us. They are only proximately bad; they are never ultimately bad. That is, they are bad only in the short (proximate) term, never in the long term. Because of the triumph of God’s goodness in all things, he is able to bring good for us out of the bad. He turns our tragedies into supreme blessings."
 When I am tempted to question God's plan in creating Wesley with special needs, I can cling to the promise that while things will be more difficult for him and for us, God has promised to work this trial for our good.  He will turn the hardships that we have walked through and will continue to walk through into a supreme blessing!  And, when God works this trial for good in our lives, that is when He receives much glory.

Secondly, I must have an eternal perspective.  2 Corinthians 4:16-18 says, "So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.  For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal."

It is true that here on earth Wesley only has this one life to live, and that in his lifetime he will face many difficulties and suffer much.  But, praise the Lord, even if he were to suffer every moment of his life here on earth, it is a light and momentary affliction in comparison to the eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison that is awaiting him in heaven.  What I see - a little boy with a chromosomal abnormality who will struggle in this life and never accomplish much in the world's eyes - is transient.  But what I don't see - heaven, where Wesley, in his new and perfect body, will forever worship and sing praise to his creator and savior - is eternal.

When my eyes are opened to the transience of this world and I long for the day when I will see my Savior face to face and worship him forever, God receives much glory.

So, while I wouldn't say that God has made Wesley miserable (you have only to meet my sweet little boy to see that he is filled with joy), I would say that by God creating Wesley with a chromosomal abnormality, He has already received much glory because of how He has worked this trial for good in our lives.  God has used this trial to make me increasingly thankful for my Savior, who has provided for my greatest need by sending His Son to pay the penalty for my sins.  He has used Wesley's medical challenges to remind me that while I am not in control, I can trust Him, for He is upholding Wesley's life.  And He has given me a greater longing for heaven, when all things will be made right, and when I will see Him face to face.


2 comments:

Katie said...

I wish that this post could be read by the millions across the world who are struggling through these same questions. God is doing such a great work in you, Elisabeth. He definitely is already bringing much glory to Himself through W.

Cassie said...

Thank you for the kind comment you left on my blog earlier today. It was sweet of you to take the time to read Caleb's story. I've taken a few minutes to read some of your blog. God is using you. I have a feeling that I am going to be blessed by reading more about you and your family and your faith.