Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Standing Steadfastly - Part 2


Click here to read Part 1.

In my last post I wrote about how in the midst of this trial, God Himself is my way of escape.  When I take advantage of the means of escape that He has provided for me by calling out to Him and trusting in His faithfulness and goodness and sovereignty over my circumstances, then He lifts me up and causes me to stand up under the trial I am walking through rather than be weighed down by it.

But how do I remain steadfast in this trial, continuing to stand rather than slowly being weighed down over time until I am crushed underneath the weight of it all?


According to James 1:2-12, I am to count it all joy when I face trials of various kinds, because I know that the testing of my faith produces steadfastness.  This means that the trial the Lord has called me to walk through is being used to test me with the express purpose of strengthening my faith.  As my faith in God is strengthened, the result is steadfastness, which the ESV Study Bible defines as "a life of faithful endurance amid troubles and afflictions".

James goes on to say, "And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing."  It is amazing to me that God has designed it so that the way that I am to grow in holiness is by walking through trials, counting it joy because I know that God is using these very trials to teach me how to faithfully endure by trusting in my faithful God.


God even addresses what I am to do when I begin to feel crushed by the weight of it all again - not knowing what to do, fearing the future, lacking wisdom for how I am to best care for Wesley while still caring for and loving the rest of my family.  God tells me that He WANTS me to ask Him whenever I lack wisdom.  And, He promises to give wisdom generously whenever I ask.  In fact, it glorifies Him when I seek His wisdom, trusting that He is good and will work all things for good.  I am so grateful for God's promise to generously give me wisdom as I trust in Him and call out to Him, that I might remain steadfast as I walk through this trial.

As I look to God as my way of escape and faithfully endure this trial while calling out to God for wisdom, I am trusting that He will continue to lift me up and cause me to stand up steadfastly under it.  I pray that one day God will receive much glory as it is said of me, "Blessed is Elisabeth, for she remained steadfast under trial.  She has stood the test, and she will now receive the crown of life, which God has promised for those who love him."


2 comments:

Rochelle said...

Beautiful post Elisabeth.
God is so amazing!

patty said...

elisabeth, what a sweet reminder...thank you. i can't tell you what a blessing your blog is to me. God is using you to minister to me and i'm sure many others. so thankful for you,
patty