Saturday, December 31, 2011

A Mother's Heart



As I think back over the past two-and-a-half years, I remember the feelings of being forgotten by those around me as time went by after Wesley's diagnosis.  After the first few months of his life, it was as if others moved on with their lives while I was left to deal with the repercussions of Wesley's diagnosis for the rest of my life.  I remember how difficult it was to find babysitting for Zach during Wesley's countless doctor's appointments and procedures and how often I was tempted to judge the hearts of my friends when I felt they had forsaken our family.  I remember the heartbreak as the frequency with which people asked how Wesley was doing decreased.  Did no one else care about my son?  What a fight it was to not close up and build walls in my friendships.  I struggled to keep communication open and share our difficulties and struggles even when it felt like no-one else understood or even wanted to know how we were doing.

God used this season in my life to teach me that while He often uses others to help his children, ultimately our help comes from Him.  I learned what it meant to lean on Him completely.  Just recently I went back and read a post I wrote last December about all that God was showing me:
Yet, as I reflect on the Lord's faithfulness to me and to our family, I am amazed that so often when I am overwhelmed or in need of help, I look first to others rather than to the Lord. Then, when they don't sustain me or help me or strengthen me the way the Lord does, I am hurt by their lack of help or by my perception of their lack of care. I am quick to judge their motives and slow to show them the same grace that the Lord has shown me. I was recently reminded by a dear friend who is much farther along on the path of raising a child with special needs, that the bottom line is that my help comes from GOD. God provides for my needs - not the church, and not my friends in the church. God may use my friends, but I need to keep my eyes on Him. When I need help, I need to go to the Lord first and trust that HE will provide. And, I need to remember that most people have had very little contact with people with special needs. In their ignorance, they don't know what to say or how to help. It is God's kindness to me to put me in situations with others where I can begin to adjust to this truth and learn to trust God in the midst of it all. And, if God is not providing for me through others, I have to trust that God has called me to walk through a particular trial or season alone. My circumstances are ordained by God, and I can trust that the Lord is faithful and kind, and he will be faithful to provide for my every need - just as He always has.
Then, about a year ago, God in his kindness chose to change our circumstances.  As I look back, it is clear that it was important for Him to first teach me to trust Him wholly and look to Him first and foremost before opening up the floodgates of care from others for our family. Last November we stepped down from some responsibilities at church and transitioned to a much larger small group.  As a result, for the first time in a long time, we began to experience large amounts of care for our family.  Our care group leaders regularly took time to care for our souls, pray for Wesley and for us as we sought to care for him, and lead others in our care group to do the same.  The care we have received over the past year has been used by the Lord to strengthen our marriage, encourage us through difficult times medically, and even just give us strength as we have known we were not alone.  The couples in our care group have mourned with us, rejoiced with us, and walked beside us through the hard times.

This fall, as it became apparent to us that I would be unable to maintain Wesley's rigorous therapy schedule after Liam's birth, our wonderful care group leader's wife offered to coordinate assistance for us during the first month of Liam's life.  Previous experience has taught us that Wesley struggles significantly when he has a lack of structure and when his sensory needs are not met daily.  As well, he tends to forget what he has learned when we take a break in our therapy schedule.  To be honest, after our struggles with getting help over the past two years, I feared that our care group leaders would be unable to find people who were willing to sacrifice their schedules to care for us.  Much to my surprise, ladies and teenage girls quickly volunteered to assist us.  Five ladies/girls have faithfully showed up at our doorstep each weekday for the past month to spend an hour working with Wesley.  Their care for our family and love for my son has touched my heart deeply.  I will always treasure these weeks in my heart - the weeks when I saw the love that these women have for my son and the way that they kindly gave of their time to help the least of these.  Truly, this past month I have been freshly reminded of God's love for Wesley and His faithfulness to provide for all that my precious son needs.

As well, during the first week and a half of Liam's life, while we fought for faith as we feared the outcome of his genetic testing and worked for long hours each day with him as he struggled to learn how to eat, many ladies at our church rallied around us, bringing us meals, bringing Zach back and forth to school, and taking Wesley to therapy.  These things I will also treasure in my heart.  God again demonstrated powerfully that He will show our family steadfast lovingkindness all of our days.  There will be seasons when He will show us this as we walk alone, and there will be seasons when He will shower us with love through the care of others.

It is amazing to me to look back and see how much has changed since last summer when I struggled so much with feeling like I was walking through all of our struggles alone.  While last summer, mine was a lonely path, this winter our path has been shared with countless families at our church who have come alongside us and supported us.  As I look back at the past four weeks and think of all of the ladies and teenagers who have so selflessly given of their time to care for our family, I see the hands of God reaching down and tenderly and compassionately caring for our family. I am again reminded of His love for us.  He has abundantly provided for all of our needs beyond anything that we could have ever asked or even imagined.

My mother's heart will always treasure the month in the winter of 2011 when God reached down and used His people to care for a family He loves and a precious little boy He delights in and created in His very own image.

"He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things?"  Romans 8:32

"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name!  Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's."  Psalm 103:1-5


3 comments:

sarah k said...

that's beautiful, Elisabeth. I'm so sorry for the time you spent on the lonely path, and so happy you have the help of many around you now.

Patty said...

Elisabeth.....it's so encouraging to hear how God has met you. Your family is so precious and we thank God for you....

andreajennine said...

Just to commend the eagerness to serve of those gals who helped with Wesley's therapies: by the time I figured out a potential sitter arrangement for B so I could sign up, the schedule was filled! We love you all and love seeing God meet your needs.