Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Thoughtless Words


So often we speak words thoughtlessly without considering how our words might hurt others. In honor of Spread The Word To End The Word Day, let's think before we speak.  Using the word "retard(ed)" is a derogatory way to use someone's disability as an insult, whether we are speaking directly to them or not.

When I hear this word, I hear "That was so Wesley!"  Or, "I can't believe I just did that, I'm such a Wesley!"  Out of respect for my boy, please find another word.

The tongue is a mighty weapon.  According to Proverbs 18:21, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits."  Today, with God's help, let's choose to give life with our words.




2 comments:

sarah k said...

I totally agree. Thanks for making this point.

Becky said...

This word makes me so upset to hear...I hear it way too much. When I try to educate people about this word, I often get "you are too sensitive" or "it is just a word." But, it is a terrible word that people just simply need to stop using. Thanks for putting this in your blog.