Thursday, December 16, 2010

Grace

My Dearest Gracie,

It has been five years now, and I still miss you so much.  You will always be my first child, my first daughter, and there is a special place in my heart just for you.  I will never forget the day we found out your little heart had stopped beating.  Seeing the back-up of fluid into your heart and hearing the doctor explain what happened was the most heartbreaking news your Daddy and I have ever received.

I have never heard your Daddy weep as he wept for you.  You see, we loved you so much and were looking forward to meeting you in just a few short months.  But God had other plans - better plans.  He brought you home to be with Him.  Now when I think of you, I picture you at the feet of Jesus, your Savior, worshiping and praising Him.  Daddy and I long for the day when we will join you and see Jesus with our own eyes.  Our biggest prayer for our children is that they will trust in Jesus as their Savior and spend eternity with Him.  So while we miss you here on earth, we are filled with joy that you are already in the presence of Jesus.  And, one day we will join you and we will all spend eternity together worshiping our Savior.

One of my favorite songs is called "It Is Not Death To Die". Whenever I hear it, I think of you Grace, and I weep.  My tears are no longer tears of mourning and grief.  Now, my tears are a mixture of sadness and joy.  I still selfishly wish that you were here on earth with us, but I also rejoice that in your death you did not die.  Instead you are living life as we on earth can only long for and feebly imagine.

I love you Gracie, and I will see you soon!

Love,
Mama

It Is Not Death To Die
It is not death to die
To leave this weary road
And join the saints who dwell on high
Who've found their home with God
It is not death to close
The eyes long dimmed by tears
And wake in joy before your throne
Delivered from our fears

O Jesus, conquering the grave
Your precious blood has power to save
Those who trust in You
Will in Your mercy find
That it is not death to die

It is not death to fling
Aside this earthly dust
And rise with strong and noble wing
To live among the just
It is not death to hear
The key unlock the door
That sets us free from mortal years
To praise You evermore

O Jesus, conquering the grave
Your precious blood has power to save
Those who trust in You
Will in Your mercy find
That it is not death to die


6 comments:

Angie said...

Though I cannot completely relate, I can on some level, sweet friend! Thanks for sharing this. I know one of the hardest things for me is that people move on and forget about my sisters even though I haven't. Thanks for reminding ME about Gracie so I won't forget her.

Looking forward to that sweet day you spoke of....

Rochelle said...

Oh Elisabeth I can relate, we have 2 sweet angels waiting on us in heaven and although I would rather them be here with us I look forward to the day when I can be with them forever.

Thanks for sharing this.

andreajennine said...

I think of your little Grace from time to time. Though you, of course, remember her best, please know that she isn't forgotten by your friends.

sarah k said...

Tears. My heart ached for you then and does now, knowing that you have this to carry.

patty said...

Elisabeth,

my heart breaks for you as you mourn the loss of your baby girl, yet i rejoice over the fact that God has taken the ashes of that time in your life and shown you so much beauty. and what a glorious promise we have, that the trials of this life are nothing compared to the glory that awaits us....
praying for you....
patty

Katie said...

I echo what Andrea says, friend. We remember, too, and our hearts go out to you as love her and miss her.