Tuesday, December 21, 2010

In Awe of Christmas


I will never truly grasp what it meant for God to send His only Son into the world to be born as a baby for the single purpose of growing up and being rejected by the world He came to save.  How God's heart must have broken as He watched His Son be mistreated, mocked, beaten, and eventually killed.  And to think that He did this for us.  For me.  For Wesley.  What must God have felt when no one in all of Bethlehem would offer a place for His only Son to be born?  His Son was rejected even at His birth.  Then, once Jesus was grown, God permitted the people that He created to mock His Son - to cruelly taunt Him, speak hateful words to Him, spit in His face, whip Him, and brutally murder Him.


As a mother, it is hard to think about the future, when inevitably Wesley will be mistreated.  He will be mocked.  Others will reject him.  If I had the choice, I would never choose this road for my son to walk.  I wish that I could protect him from the world.  I wish that I could always cover his ears when children say, "Mommy, what's wrong with him?" and shield him from cruel laughter at his unusual behavior.  I wish that he would never be rejected by his peers.  My wish that I could protect my son leaves me in awe that God could have protected His Son but chose not to.

 Instead, God chose for His Son to endure great suffering and mistreatment.  And He chose this because of His great love for us.  Oh how unfathomable and amazing God's love for us is that He would allow His Son to endure such things.

Thank you God for sending Your Son to be born and to be rejected so that we might be saved.


3 comments:

Rochelle said...

Truly humbling isn't it? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Katie said...

Amen, dear friend.

andreajennine said...

Wonderful meditation and application. Thanks for sharing this, E.