Saturday, January 28, 2012

Friends

Wesley has never been interested in other children.  When he is around kids that are younger than him, he doesn't even see them, which often results in him running into them at full force with all of his thirty-two pounds and knocking them flat on the ground.  If we have a play date with other children his age or older, Wesley ignores them, preferring to play by himself. Wesley does love to play with Zach and will follow him most of the day trying to persuade him to play chase.  But for some reason his joy in playing with other children hasn't spread past his big brother....until Monday.

On Monday, for the first time, I watched Wesley thoroughly enjoy himself playing "Ring Around the Rosie" with a friend and her almost two-year-old son.  Wesley consistently made eye contact with his playmate rather than just with my friend, and the boys laughed together every time they fell down.  They would both say "down" as they fell and then clap for each other.  It was such a precious moment for this mother's heart as I watched my son play with another boy and enjoy himself.  Even more dear to my heart was that this little boy enjoyed playing with my son.

Then on Tuesday we had some friends over for a play date (our first one in many, many months), and while the big kids played upstairs, Wesley and the two-year-old girl played together downstairs.  She loved jumping on his trampoline, and his face was radiant as he faced her and jumped on the floor.  The two of them laughed and laughed as they jumped together.  Then later they ran around chasing each other and laughing.  I don't think I have ever seen him have so much fun with another child other than his brother before.  This time too, my heart was touched as I watched this very talkative little girl enjoy playing with my boy without questioning his lack of communication or his funny ways of doing things.

I pray that as Wesley becomes more aware of others around him, God will always surround him with dear children like these two who will welcome him and enjoy playing with him.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the trials and joys of motherhood. You are a blessed woman, Elisabeth.

andreajennine said...

So sweet! I loved the little bit of ring-around-the-rosy I got to see that Monday as B and I packed up to leave. I'll be echoing your prayer from the end of this post. And as our kids grow older together, please always let us know how we can help them be good friends to Wesley.

ch said...

Hi, Elisabeth! Thanks so much for praying for and visiting our friend, Violet! You were randomly chosen to receive a personalized book, if you'd have a use for one at your house. :0) Just email me and we can brainstorm what might be most popular and I'll get that made and sent to you! Congratulations!
xoxox...ch from pudge and biggs