Monday, May 23, 2011

IEP


Today the future came crashing in on me at an alarming rate.  I was talking with Wesley's developmental therapist, and she confirmed with me that the day Wesley turns three, his services with Early Intervention will cease and he will immediately start attending school. He will also be eligible for summer school, which she highly recommended.  What a huge change is coming to our family in just ten short months.

But then, as I asked more questions, his therapist went on to explain in more detail the process we will go through to transition Wesley.  I almost fell over when she said that the initial paperwork for his first IEP (Individualized Education Plan) meeting will begin six months before he turns three.  This is just four months away!  It is unbelievable to me that in just four months, Mike and I will begin the process of making huge decisions as to what we are looking for the school district to provide for Wesley's education.  I never thought I would be discussing bussing options, school therapies, personal aides, and learning objectives for my two and a half year old.

Just the thought of sending my non-verbal child to school and allowing others to mold him and shape his world view brings me to tears.  Putting him on the bus in the morning and then not knowing what will happen to him fills me with fear.  Taking him off the bus and not being able to ask him how his day went, or what he learned, or if anyone was unkind to him - or worse, abusive toward him - terrifies me.

I often ask myself how it could possibly be that sending my sweet little boy to school would be God's best plan for his life.  Yet, I know that the school system can provide so much for him that we could never give him at home.  I have wept countless hours this past year as I have begged God for wisdom and pleaded for discernment.  I often fear that if we make the wrong decision regarding Wesley's education, we will bring long-lasting harm to him.

But really, this is just another opportunity for me to release my firm grip of Wesley's future and hand it to God.  The Lord is Wesley's protector, and the Lord is the one who upholds His life. How thankful I am that I can entrust my son to my faithful God, knowing that while I cannot be with Wesley every second of every day to protect him, his Heavenly Father will never leave him or forsake him - EVER!

I am comforted by the fact that as Mike and I pray through these huge decisions, we can trust God to guide our steps.  He has not left us to determine Wesley's future on our own. According to Isaiah 30:21, God says "And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left."  I am so thankful that as we plan Wesley's future, it is the Lord who is directing our steps.  And we can trust Him, for we know Him to be a good and faithful and loving God who will work Wesley's schooling for his good and for our good.


5 comments:

Sandra said...

Hi Elisabeth,

I just wanted to pass along a bit of encouragement. Nathan went through the Early Intervention Program and the same types of therapies that Wesley is going through (speech, developmental, physical, etc...) when he was 2 yrs. old, and when he turned three he went into the school district just like Wesley is set to do.

I was very nervous about Nathan riding the bus and actually being away from me for so long 4-5 days a week, but overall, it was a WONDERFUL experience for him. He started with summer school which I think was a great idea because the classes are smaller, and Nathan could slowly get used to going to school and being away from us.

At first, we didn't have him ride the bus. We'd pick him up and drop him off, but once he did start riding the bus, it worked out well too.

Nathan's therapist would visit him in class, and they'd conduct their therapy sessions right in the classroom environment most of the time. I would communicate with his therapist and teacher via a notebook back and forth. And, of course, we'd meet every so often to discuss Nathan's IEP and his progress.

There's a lot more I could say, and I'm here if you'd like to talk more. I just wanted to offer our experience and let you know that by far, it was a great experience for Nathan until he aged out of the program and we started homeschooling him. He did do therapy through the public school while we home schooled for a while, but that fizzled out after the first year. The public school therapist was so busy with the kids she dealt with through the public school that we decided to simply let it go because of the enormous progress that Nathan had made. Nathan still has some learning challenges, but he is no longer in any therapy.

Oh, and the name of the preschool was Indian Prairie Preschool in Naperville. Great school!

Sandra said...

Correction...the name of the preschool was Prairie Children Preschool in the Indian Prairie school district. :) Its been awhile!

andreajennine said...

Oh, Elisabeth, those are big things! I trust God has a good future for Wesley whatever his education will be. There's a woman in our care group who does special ed advocacy; I can introduce you if you're interested.

Katie said...

Wow, friend. That does sound overwhelming to think about! I was thinking about you last night and praying for the Lord to give you peace. Also, I wonder if this would be a great thing to chat w/Charolette about; I bet she has some great thoughts and help here.

Ilisa Ailts said...

Wow, so much going on and he is still your baby! Remember, you call the shots and as things are progressing you can always speak up. At any point. And, it is exciting to think of how he will grow from school!