Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Just the Two of Us


The last two days, while Mike and Wesley have been cooped up in a hospital room experiencing the joys of a 48 hour EEG, Zach and I have had a delightful time together.  I have loved spending every waking moment with my big boy.  It has been fun to be reminded of how funny and exuberant he is.  He can fill every moment of every day with conversation without hardly taking time to breathe.

We've started each morning with him climbing into my bed and having me read to him from his devotional book. It's amazing how much you can read and talk about when you're not pressed for time.  Then yesterday we went to the children's museum and then out for lunch.  I loved watching Zach run around and use his imagination.  It was such a joy to let him lead the way and not constantly have to tell him to stay with Mommy.  We had a blast building together with magnetic shapes and playing in the space shuttle.  He even persuaded me to come into the workshop and help him build a car out of wood and nails.  I'm not sure Mike will be very impressed with my construction, but at least Zach didn't notice its poor craftsmanship.  He was just thrilled to talk with me while we were working.


Zach has also grabbed hold of the opportunity to work through his "school books" the past few days.  He finished up his enormous Preschool workbook the other day so Mike went out and bought him a Kindergarten workbook to take it's place.  I don't think I am exaggerating when I say that he has completed at least fifty pages in his workbook in the past two days. He loves to learn, and anything that includes logic of some kind is right up his alley.  Yesterday he was hard at work completing subtraction problems, and today he surprised me with his rhyming skills.  He has so much fun talking through each page with me and learning each new concept.

As today comes to a close, I am looking forward to having Wesley home again tomorrow. But I will very much miss the extra time with my big boy.  As much as Wesley is an enormous blessing and a wonderful little brother, I am much more aware after today of how much of my time he requires.  Zach really does receive the the left over bits and pieces of my day after I have finished caring for his little brother.  I am praying that God will help me to find a way to restructure my days so that Zach and I can have more fun times together - just the two of us.


2 comments:

Rochelle said...

So glad you were able to have 2 days to devote to Zach.
Praying you find that balance with timing with both boys!
Hope Wesley's EEG went well.

andreajennine said...

Sounds like you and Zach had a lot of fun!