Monday, April 11, 2011

Happy Birthday Wesley

Dear Wesley,

It is hard for me to believe that you are already two years old.  It seems like just yesterday you were a baby, and now you are so big.  When I dress you in the clothes your big brother wore to the hospital to visit you when you were born, I am reminded of just how much you have grown up.  How can it be?  How can my baby be a big boy now?


Wesley, I can't even begin to tell you how God has used you to change my heart.  As I look back at the past two years, all I see is joy.  Despite all the tears I have cried, the struggles with feeding you, the fears as we faced your medical issues, and your multiple surgeries and other procedures, my view of these past two years is tinted with a rosy shade.  I remember the joys of watching each little thing you learned to do.  I think of all the times my heart has burst with pride as you have persevered to master something new.  When I picture your face, I always see you laughing back at me with delight.


God has used you, my dear son, to teach me what it truly means to trust God - to trust that He is good and that He does all things well.   In giving you to me, God has helped me to stop striving after what I might imagine a perfect life to be and instead trust His perfect plan for my life - and for yours.  In just two short years, God has already used you in marvelous and wonderful ways in your Mama's life.  I can only imagine the great plans that God has for the rest of your life.  I pray that you will touch the lives of countless people and that they will see Jesus through you.


The other day, as I looked at pictures of you from a year ago, I commented to your Daddy about how delightful you were back then.  That's what you have always been.  Delightful. Your tears are few and far between (when you're feeling well), your determination to learn new things is fierce, and your joy is abundant.  God has truly blessed you with an amazing countenance.  The first thing that anyone ever comments about you is your smile and your laughter.  Your laugh is contagious, and considering that you laugh all the time, laughter is a common sound in our home.


I can't wait to watch this next year unfold.  My heart fills with excitement as I think of the new things you will learn.  I anticipate your smiles and laughter as you learn new words and signs. And oh the joy that will be yours when you master the art of feeding yourself.  I can already see your face as you squeal with delight and wave your fork everywhere.  If only I could preemptively warn the walls of the food that will soon be coming their way.


I love you, my sweet Wesley, and I am honored that God has given me the joy and delight of being your Mama.

Love,
Mama

"Oh sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done marvelous things!...  Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth; break forth into joyous song and sing praises!  Psalm 98:1, 4


5 comments:

Erin said...

So sweet! Happy second Birthday Wesley!

Rochelle said...

Hope this next year brings as much joy to your family. Happy birthday Wesley!

Katie said...

God is so amazing, Elisabeth! To see the love and gratitude you have in your heart for your son just shouts loudly and clearly, "There really is a God and He really does uphold us!" You've sown to the Spirit and fought hard-really hard over the past couple years. The fruit of joy and peace that God is reaping in your life is so beautiful. What a wonderful birthday note to your incredible little guy.

andreajennine said...

Happy birthday to Wesley! I echo everything Katie said.

Ilisa Ailts said...

Happy 2nd Birthday! April 11th was my first born's due date: a special day! I am sorry to hear all the struggles in the health department. I have been saying prayers for Wesley and your family.