Thursday, October 7, 2010

Glasses

This morning I started reading 2 Corinthians and was reading 1:1-11, which the Lord used to encourage my soul. He was so kind to remind me again that he is the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort who comforts me in my affliction. And, he is using these afflictions to make me rely not on myself but on God, who raises the dead. On Him I have set my hope, that He will deliver me again!

I was so grateful that the Lord led me to read these verses this morning, as I was in great need of his mercy and comfort at Wesley's ophthalmologist appointment today. (Zach handled himself wonderfully throughout the hour and a half appointment - which I know was a miracle and a gift to me from the Lord!) We found out that Wesley's vision has significantly deteriorated over the past year. He went from having normal vision last summer to only being able to see clearly up to 6 inches away now.

I realized as soon as I found out the news that my greatest concern was that Wesley would look even more different with glasses and get even more stares and questions and funny looks. It seems that the Lord is using this as yet another opportunity to peel away a layer of pride and teach me humility. I was again reminded that my hope is not in Wesley looking normal but in God, who raises the dead and who loves Wesley more than I ever could.

The Lord has helped me to see these glasses as a gift to help Wesley see better rather than just another thing that will make him look different. I am looking forward to how his improved vision will help him to develop in other areas as the whole world opens up before his very eyes.

Now we just have to hope that he will realize that it is his glasses that help him to see and let us keep them on his face!


1 comment:

Jennie said...

Speaking from experience... you'll get TONS of adoring comments about the glasses. :-)