Friday, October 4, 2013

His Perfect Way In The Storm



"This God - his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him. For who is God, but the Lord? And who is a rock, except our God?" Psalm 18:40-31

It doesn't seem like my circumstances are good right now, and as I look around, it appears as if things are falling apart. But I can trust that God's way is perfect. He says it is, and His word proves true. Even now, I can look back and see how God has provided for us in the past and how His word had always proven to be true. He has been faithful to us, given us new mercies every morning, and showered us with His steadfast love. And that hasn't stopped today. And it won't ever stop.

As I look around at my circumstances and fear rises within me, I quickly realize that there is nowhere else to go, no one else to whom I can appeal. There is no rock except our God. Health is not a rock I can stand on. Job security is not a rock I can stand on. Respite from the hardships of life is not a rock I can stand on. But as I stand on Jesus, my solid rock, He will be a shield and a refuge for me. This doesn't mean the waves won't still crash on the rock and lap at my feet, and the rain won't still pour down on me. But my feet are steady on the rock, and my body is shielded from the rain.

I have found refuge in the Lord, and in Him my hope is secure. 

Oh Lord, help me to quiet my soul, be still, and wait patiently for you. Calm my anxious thoughts. For you will not allow me to be cast headlong. You will uphold my hand. (Psalm 37)


No comments: