Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Finding Refuge Through God's Word

This post is part of a series. Click on the following links to read Part 1Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4.

I want to conclude this series by introducing a woman who has been an example to me of what it looks like to find our refuge in God.

Krista Horning is the author of my favorite book on disability.  As she has walked through life with Apert Syndrome, God's sovereignty and goodness have become a refuge for her soul in the midst of a life she did not expect to live.

I had the opportunity to meet Krista last November at a conference on disability, and God's glorious grace radiates in her life.  This young lady has suffered much in her life.  She has fought hard to believe the promises of God, and she has found refuge in God as she has come to know Him through His Word.

At Desiring God's Disability Conference, she shared her testimony.  I was undone as I listened to her words:
Disability says ugly things to me.
It tells me I am alone.
I am different.
I am worthless.
I am weak.
It tells me my life is hopeless.
Disability lies to me, and sometimes it is easy to listen and believe.
Sometimes I don't want to live with a disability.
Sometimes I don't want to be who God made me to be.
She went on to share how God's word is a refuge to her soul, and what it looks like for her to cling to this refuge.  Then Krista concluded with these words:
For now I live with disability.
Disability still says ugly things to me.
Disability is a part of this broken sin-filled world.  
But God has so many beautiful things to say.
And so I’m filled with hope.
God’s words grow louder and louder in my life.
The glory of His grace and mercy grow stronger and stronger.  
I need to listen to His words.
I want to listen to His words.  
God's words change everything.
God’s beautiful words have changed my life.
And that is how I live with disability.
If you have ten minutes, listen to her testimony and be encouraged.



2 comments:

Rochelle said...

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Ilisa Ailts said...

Wow, I shared this video! Thank you! It is beautiful!