Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Big Day


It is official.  Wesley is a big boy now.  On Monday, fighting back tears, I helped Wesley step onto his bus for the first time and buckled him up.  Those tears that were so close to the surface were impossible to fight back when Wesley looked deep into my eyes, realized that I was leaving him, and started crying out in distress.  I kissed him, told him that I loved him, and then turned away from him with tears running down my cheeks as I stepped back off of the bus.  The kind bus driver reassured me that the first day is always the hardest, and that she was sure Wesley would do just fine.  Then she pulled away.


Fifteen minutes later, Wesley's teacher called me to say that he stopped crying after the bus drove away and was happy when he arrived at school.  After his teacher helped him walk off the bus, he wore his backpack and walked all the way to his class on his own.  When he arrived, after taking off his jacket and putting his snack away, he sat down at the table to build with legos and do a puzzle all by himself.


According to his teacher, Wesley really enjoyed circle time and especially loved the music.

He enjoyed following along using the class schedule.






When they broke out into work sessions, Wesley's teacher informed me that he surprised her with how much he really does know.  Wesley matched pictures of animals in a field of six, matched paper colored apples in a field of six, and understood and followed instructions when she asked him to hand her pictures of animals in a field of three.  Way to go Wesley!!!
When I stepped onto the bus after school to get Wesley, I was greeted with a big smile.  He happily stepped off of the bus with me and came inside.  No sooner had we walked in the front door than he started pulling on his sweatshirt, looked me in the eye, and said "off"!  Oh what a proud mama I was.  I took that sweatshirt off just as fast as I could while praising my boy for telling me what he wanted!  He then sat in my lap, hugging me and sucking his thumb for about five minutes before jumping up and running off to play.

All in all, Wesley's teacher says that he is adjusting spectacularly well to school, and that he loves being there. She continues to be surprised at how much he knows and understands. And best of all, he now looks forward to seeing the bus pull up each morning in anticipation of another fun day at school.

I am so thankful that the Lord has blessed my dear Wesley with such a wonderful experience at school!  I couldn't have asked for more.


7 comments:

Patty said...

Elisabeth, how sweet of God to answer your prayers for sweet Wesley! I am so happy that he enjoys school so much...what a blessing for both him and you!

Susana said...

My goodness! your story has touched so deeply my heart! thank you sooo much to share it! Firstable, I pray God for all he has done and will continue doing, second I congratulate you and Mike the great job u have done being the parents you are and be close to God's guidance .. I am totally sure God has blessed u in so many ways.. one of them little Wesley. I feel so happy for such bless. Hugs my sister :). Keep it up! Susana Moran

andreajennine said...

Oh, I love this sweet report! And how wonderful of the teacher to send all the pictures and updates on his achievements!

Becky said...

It looks like God has blessed Wesley with such a wonderful learning environment. Oh, the first picture broke my heart and was so glad to see what an awesome day he had. I could not imagine being the mom and watching those tears drive away...

I am proud of your little guy! Keep up the great work at school! It is his time to shine!

Rochelle said...

Sounds exactly like Alayna on the first day and the picture could match! Thankful he had a great start to preschool! Can't wait to watch you soar to new heights Wesley!

Erin said...

Oh you made me cry, we do this on Monday. I'm not really ready but I know how good it will be for Lucas. Wesley looked so adorable on his first day. Those good byes are so hard but so happy he did so well!

Unknown said...

oh that picture of him crying on the bus tore at my heart! way to go sweet boy xxxx