Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Five Years


Dear Zach,

I promise, I haven't forgotten your birthday.  How could I ever forget about the birth of my firstborn son?  Things have been crazy around here as I work through pages of to-do lists to get ready for the birth of your brother, and somehow my birthday letter to you was pushed down to page two on one of those lists.  Please forgive me for my tardiness!  When you're my age and have kids of your own, maybe you'll understand.  On the other hand, as it seems that you have your father's gift for timeliness, maybe you'll just need the gift of understanding others in their weakness.

Zach, every time I look at you, I am amazed at how quickly the past five years have gone by. How can it be that just five years ago I was holding a newborn baby in my arms for the first time and trying to figure out what being a mom was all about?  Now I look into your eyes and see a boy who is so very grown up.


I love our conversations together, when you talk about your day at school or your interactions with others.  You still see the world in black and white, and sometimes it is hard to not laugh as you use words such as "steal" and "lie" for activities that would better be characterized as accidentally taking something and intending to return it or misunderstandings between two individuals.

Your vocabulary is growing by leaps and bounds, and I am amazed at your logic skills at such a young age.  Your ability to distinguish between specific word choices based on their precise meanings reminds me very much of your father.  I can tell that by the time you are a teenager I will just have to acknowledge the fact that you are smarter than me and able to use reasoning skills far surpassing my own to explain why my instructions to you are not correct or accurate.  Despite this, God will still call you to honor your mother.


Since Wesley joined you in your room, it has been a delight to watch you quietly come out every morning at six-thirty to read your Bible story books in our closet.  It amazes me that you are able to read every word by yourself and then discuss what you read with me.  This morning, after reading about Solomon's wives worshiping idols, you were quick to tell me that at one time Solomon loved and followed God but then over time his heart became proud.  I pray that as you continue to read about God and His word, that God will gently but firmly draw you to Himself and a saving knowledge of His Son Jesus.

You have never had a huge interest in music, but just recently I have heard you singing both songs you've heard and also songs you make up on the spot.  It was music to my ears last week when I heard you singing a song about how Jesus did not want to die on the cross but He did it anyway because He loves us so much.  Oh how I pray that God will cause these words to sink deep into your soul and that you will grasp the depth of God's love for you as expressed by the death of His Son for your sins.


As Wesley has grown older, it has been a joy to watch how you have taken him under your wing.  Your patient voice as you teach him his shapes or help him with a puzzle is just precious to watch.  I love listening as you play with him and encourage him to try new things.  And at night, as you are supposed to be sleeping, it is difficult to drag myself into your room to ask you to be quiet when I hear you practicing sounds with him and encouraging him to imitate you.  When I hear the two of you laughing together, it is music to my ears.  As I think about it, it is so very evident that God perfectly placed both of you into our family.  You are the perfect big brother for Wesley.  You are patient with him but yet faithful to keep encouraging him and reminding him to do what is right.  I am often grateful for your black and white perspective on things when you remind me that Wesley is licking something or engaging in a behavior we are seeking to curtail.  Many times I am tired and would prefer to just ignore Wesley's behavior for a minute or two, but your faithfulness to point it out and remind me that he is "NEVER allowed to do that" is very helpful.

One of my favorite things to watch you do these days is build with your LEGOs.  You love to follow instructions, and your new favorite thing to do is pull out a set of LEGOs, grab the instructions, and follow them exactly until you have completed what it is that you are building.  Truly, I am amazed at your ability to follow the instructions without messing anything up.  And I love seeing your huge smile as you show me what you have built.  It is fun to see you succeeding at something that you love so much but that is also challenging to you.  And I am so proud of you for working hard at building things rather than getting frustrated and angry when things aren't going right.  I know that is just another sign that you are growing up.


I love you so much Zach, and I am looking forward to enjoying this next year with you.  You are becoming my companion, and I am praying that together we will enjoy year five tremendously!

Love,
Mom


2 comments:

andreajennine said...

The Pattersons love Zach!

Becky said...

What an amazing boy...happy birthday! Yes, watching your child at such a young age read Bible stories and share that knowledge with you is wonderful. I remember Renee doing that at five too. Memories I will cherish forever...