Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I Can See!

We picked up Wesley's glasses on Friday morning, and so far they have been a huge success.  Wesley can definitely tell that his glasses are significantly improving his vision, so he rarely tries to take them off. He keeps looking around and smiling, or walking to the windows and just staring outside.  I'm sure it must be an amazing experience for him to be able to see everything around him rather than living in one big blur.

Check out my new awesome glasses!

This is so much fun!  I can see EVERYTHING!

I must admit though, my favorite part about Wesley's new glasses is that he will sit and watch TV now.  Ever since he started rolling over at two months old, Wesley hasn't stopped moving. His therapists have explained to me that he has sensory issues that seem to drive him to be in constant motion.  But now I wonder, did poor vision have anything to do with it?  He still walks around the house constantly, and it is rare to see him sit still for even a moment or two.  But twice now since getting his glasses, he has sat completely still in my lap for 25 minutes while watching the Baby Einstein "My First Signs" video!  I am amazed, since I never knew it was possible for him to get his wiggles out and sit still.  And more than that, I LOVE snuggling with my baby.  If I could, I'd watch that video several times a day just to have the opportunity to hold him close.  I love just breathing in his sweet baby smell and wrapping my arms around him and letting him rest his head against my shoulder.  And, I love that this is not the usual hug, where I realize Wesley's wanting to snuggle with me as he's already leaving, because he already got his half a second snuggle with mom that he was looking for.  Instead I get to hold him for a full 25 minutes!  Wow!  But yet, I'm still sad when the video comes to an end and he starts squirming to get down.  We'll watch the video again tomorrow, though.  And the day after that, and the day after that.  I'll make sure of it!  And, maybe he'll even learn a few signs along the way.


5 comments:

patty said...

elisabeth,

wesley looks adorable in his new glasses...he looks like a little man! i'm so glad he's adjusting well to them AND that you are getting some precious cuddle time with him as well...those "cuddle close" days with our babies go by way to fast!!

~patty

Misha Seger said...

OH.MY.GOODNESS!!
He is the most adorable 18 month old I have ever seen. Wesley looks SO CUTE in his glasses! I actually saw you and him from a distance on Sunday and meant to say something - then we left. Thanks for sharing these pictures! Adorable :)

andreajennine said...

Wesley looks adorable in glasses! So glad he likes them, too.

Ilisa Ailts said...

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog! That is so interesting how you connect vision and activity but I do think you're on to something and it makes sense! You are a good mom!

sarah k said...

How sweet-- both the glasses and the smuggles!